May 26, 2009

Plaza Moreno - Owatonna

Owatonna, MN

My wife and I and friend were in Owatonna last weekend (the one before Memorial Day weekend) and needed to find a place to eat. We decided to take a chance on Plaza Moreno for some Mexican food. The service was good, everything else... meh. It was Mexican food for the meat & potatoes Minnesota palate.

They immediately had chips and salsa at our table to start, naturally. The chips were fine. The salsa was super mild, bland, and very thin and runny. I kept fishing for some chunks of tomato... or anything. Then came time to order dinner. My wife wasn't very hungry so she just ordered a couple tacos. I ordered the pork tamales and our friend ordered the chicken tamales. It was three tamales served with rice and beans, again, naturally. The tamales were ok. The pork had some flavor, but the tamales had zero spice. The rice looked like Spanish rice, but had almost no flavor, and the beans, sadly, were as spicy as the rest of the food. The sour cream on the side seemed very unnecessary. Was that there in case I accidentally found some spice in my food? I did find the spice, though. It was all in a bottle at the end of the table. The hot sauce improved both the tamales and the rice.

My wife said the tacos were ok, but also on the bland side.

On what sometimes is a plus side, the portions were huge. When I was finished it looked like I barely made a dent eventhough I almost finished the tamales and ate over half of the rice. It reminded me of the PJ Bland's commercial.
How is everything?

Average, but there's a lot of it.

No comments: